Report calls for more effective government
The Partnership for Public Service (PPS) and Booz Allen Hamilton (BAH) recently released Building the Enterprise: Nine Strategies for a More Integrated, Effective Government, a new report designed to assist the Obama administration’s efforts to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the federal government. Building the Enterprise builds on the groundwork laid by the Government Performance and Results Act of 1993 and the Government Performance and Results Modernization Act of 2010, and aims to “improve the overall performance of the federal government and, in so doing, restore the American public’s trust and confidence [in the U.S. government].”
The report’s nine strategies call for a multiagency approach to how the U.S. government responds to situations and circumstances in the most efficient, appropriate, and economic manner. These strategies include:
- Strategy 1 – Develop an enterprise performance plan with senior-level commitment to drive cross-agency goals and mission;
- Strategy 2 – Build portfolios of programs aligned against the enterprise plan’s goals;
- Strategy 3 – Designate and empower enterprise goal leaders;
- Strategy 4 – Develop career enterprise executives to lead cross-cutting missions and functions;
- Strategy 5 – Establish an independent office of evaluation to assess enterprise performance;
- Strategy 6 – Manage information technology as a true enterprise resource;
- Strategy 7 – Take shared services to scale;
- Strategy 8 – Adopt an enterprise approach to the acquisition of goods and services;
- Strategy 9 – Build an enterprise civil service system.
By implementing these nine strategies, the U.S. government can begin to eliminate program duplication and overlap, and align scarce resources toward defined goals to better serve the needs of the American people.
For more information about Building the Enterprise, please follow the links below.
9 ways to make government more efficient and effective, Federal News Radio
Building the Enterprise: Nine Strategies for a More Integrated, Effective Government, Partnership for Public Service and Booz Allen Hamilton
READ THE LATEST UPDATES FROM THE SIMONS CENTER
"*" indicates required fields